Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Wizard of Oz - NMTC - Preview


The Wizard of Oz
NMTC at the Theatre Royal


Tonight (Tuesday) I was off to see the Wizard of Oz but for an accident which occurred. I wish the people involved a speedy recovery.



So instead of the review I was expecting to write I will do a preview of this great show which will be on for the rest of the week - the show must go on as they say.



And I'm sure it will!



Newcastle Musical Theatre Company formally Newcastle Operatics Society are doing Wizard of Oz for the second time in my lifetime - the last being 24 years ago  (I was 5) in which my older sister was a munchkin. For today's munchkins she went on to play Gertie Cummings in Oklahoma with the same company.



But 24 years later a new cast take this show on and I am looking forward to seeing it.



Lucy Conroy (Wednesday,Thursday Evening, Friday Matinee, Saturday Evening) and Victoria Monaghan (Thursday Matinee, Friday Evening,Saturday Matinee) share the role of Dorothy Gale.



Dorothy doesn't like home and wants to go Somewhere over the Rainbow.



Aunt Em is played by Linda Short and Dan Fisher plays Uncle Henry in his first show for NMTC.



Jonathan Cash plays Zeke/Lion and this isn't Jonathan's first show with the company having played Kipps in Half a Sixpence, Fagin in Oliver and Ali Hakim in Oklahoma , he has very very big shoes to fill in this role but I'm told by many that he fills them extremely well.



 Dan Greener plays Hickory / Tinman in his fourth show for the company and I reckon he might be a bit stiff in this role.



Newcomer Jonny Hill plays the scarecrow / hunk and I'm looking forward to see how he performs a role that my friends seem to think I would be good at performing. (I still don't know why?)



Claire Blake plays the Wicked Witch of the West and The Good Witch is played by Nikki Cunningham.



Ken Allen takes on the role of The Wizard/Professor Marvel.

And Chris Jones plays the guard.



Bryony Souza-Hawkins, Lindsay Gill (Who is doing a fantastic job in the role of publicity officer) and Judy Mahoney play Trees. 



Carl Luke plays Nikko the Commander of the Monkeys/Crow ( the cheeky monkey he is) and Adam Waugh plays Guard 2/Crow



Leon Mcguiness plays Winkie General/Crow.



Toto is played by Sunny the Dog.



There are two teams of munchkins

Red (Thursday Matinee, Friday Evening, Saturday Matinee) and Green (Wednesday, Thursday Evening, Friday Matinee, Saturday Evening) and I wish ALL of the munchkins success for the week ahead and hope they enjoy it.



With great songs such as Over The Rainbow, Follow the Yellow Brick Road and We're off to see the Wizard.



Directed by Pauleen Gilbert with Malcolm Moffat as Musical Director and Sandra Laidler as choreographer with Sophie Clarke and Emily Taylor Assisting her. 



This show is one not to be missed but tickets are going to be hard to come by! So get them before they go.

Reuben Hiles

No comments:

Post a Comment