Thursday, March 6, 2014

Macbeth –The Peoples Theatre



Theatre Review – David Oliver

Macbeth – William Shakespeare - The Peoples Theatre (4th – 8th March 2014)

Dir: Brian Green, Sue Hinton, And The Cast


Okay, so last night, I had a taste of Shakespeare, in what can only be described as one of those shows you need to see in your lifetime. This dark, twisted take of Murder and Power hungry scandal, was just the thing that I could sing my teeth into.

Upon first walking into the auditorium, the scene was set almost instantly, with an intriguing array of set design and lighting. This immediately set the bar rather high in my mind and I did not want the show to disappoint. What I then got was something more.  Something much, much more. This production seems to have everything.  Amazing Lighting and Special Effects, Great sound, and a carefully constructed set, with costumes and design being really thought out.
At this point I would like to offer huge praise to Tom Saunders, with Dave Bailey and Karen Dales, for their Spectacular Lighting Design. Offering a wide array of lighting states that never seized to drop my jaw.

Add to this The Haunting and memorable performances from Jonny Lavelle, as well as a phenomenal cast and crew as always, some of whom I have worked with before at The peoples on “Never So Good”, “Guys and Dolls” and “The Pillowman”, you get an Intensely Dark and Twisted production as Shakespeare intended. With every aspect of this production doing immense justice to these historic works, you would be fooled to think it was nothing short of genius.

Then came my one and only confusion within the play. The fight scenes.  It seems that there was something missing, or indeed thereof a slight lack of coordination within these scenes.  At the close nipped view from the auditorium to the stage, it’s the finer details that count. In this case it was simply the realism of the fight scenes. This was however the only floor that I managed to find in this production.

The rollercoaster of Emotions, Fear and occasionally Awe that I felt during this performance, left me leaving with my brain trying to process the sheer notion of what had just happened. As ever, The Peoples have excelled themselves with their latest production, and as ever, the Quality of work and craftsmanship shines through. As well as the Passion and Talent of all involved. It was my first time watching at the peoples as an audience member, and not as part of the crew, or Lighting, and I really rather hope that it will not be my last!

All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts,His acts being seven ages.’
See you Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment